Tuesday, December 04, 2007

connecting the dots?!

Ok, ok... I know I have said this is a must read before, but this really is a must read.

I got this far before I had to blog it:
A prosecutor explained the theory to the jury at Mr. Holle’s trial in Pensacola
in 2004. “No car, no crime,” said the prosecutor, David Rimmer.
No car, no consequences. No car, no murder.”

The thing is, if you believe this simplistic logic, then you must also believe that every murder weapon is just like the car. No gun, no crime. No gun, no murder. Lalalalala

Certainly if any prosecutor used that line of reasoning, his/her ass would become the target of every card-carrying NRA member.

Well, as a car owner, let me affix the target to this prosecutor.

When "justice" becomes "vengeance" or just "get anyone you can," I simply cannot support it.

Terry Snyder, whose daughter Jessica was the victim in Mr. Holle’s case, said Mr. Holle’s conduct was as blameworthy as that of the man who shattered her skull.
“It never would have happened unless Ryan Holle had lent the car,” Mr. Snyder said. “It was as good as if he was there.”

I know that crime and murder are horrible events and that the victims' families feel completely justified in wanting blood. That is why they are not prosecutors.

I really want to believe in JUSTICE, that is Justice with a capital J. You know, the kind that actually takes into account blame, responsibility and restitution. I just don't think that is what our justice system does, maybe ever has.

No comments:

Post a Comment