Sunday, December 09, 2007

All Brains Are the Same Color

A friend, who reads this blog (one of the three people), told me about an interesting lecture one of her professors gave in which he defended his belief about possible difference in intelligence based on race. His chief defense was that he was simply repeating comments about this made by a black friend of his who happened also to be a professor of economics. Well... as you can imagine, just because his black economist friend thinks there are research-based facts on this issue does not persuade me. I would be more inclined to even respond to that comment if his friend were a biologist or a psychologist or anyone more capable of conducting research and analysis in the study of the brain or intelligence.

I mean, really, I think these kinds of comments are so ignorant that I try to ignore them.

As my friend pointed out, though, these are comments being made by professors to policy students who may go on to use these arguments as the basis of making decisions to deny access to education to those "inferior brain" people (read people of color).

So, as much as it pains me to take this seriously, every time I come across some good research, I have been sending it along.

This op-ed trumps everything I have found so far. It's fabulous because it directly takes on all of the specious claims and studies with other studies.

Read it. It's worth it. Yes, I gave you three links to the same article. That's just how valuable I think it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment