Saturday, December 08, 2007

24 hour news fame

I went to the gym yesterday morning. I am still trying to get the routine just right; I have headphones now so that I can watch something on the little tvs as I exercise. But I haven't mastered the cable television schedule. So, there I was stuck in morning "news" show hell.

Every channel was doing its best to give this poor young man (yes, there is a wikipedia entry on the tragedy) as much fame, much more than the infamous fifteen minutes, as it possibly could with little thought to the countless other souls who are contemplating how to make their marks on the world.

Disgusted, I finally opted for a sitcom. I dislike most modern sitcoms (that is to say, I Still Love Lucy, etc.).

That is not to say that I don't think we shouldn't discuss the issues that drive young people to these drastic actions or that we shouldn't continue to debate the usefulness of relatively easy access to weapons. I just don't think that the spotlight coverage is doing anything to further the important discussions our society needs to be having.

I could go on and give statistics, but it should not be necessary... we should care enough to find out. There are lots of kids like Robert out there either already on their own or about to be on their own. If you want to help, Family Builders (of which I am a board member) is doing terrific work to find permanent connections for youth before they leave the foster care system. If you are not in a position to take in someone in need, please offer financial support to the organizations who find families who can take them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment