Monday, February 20, 2006

The treat at the end of the run

It used to be that I dreamed of a big latte as the best treat at the end of any run. In fact, I went to the trouble of buying two moisture-wicking shirts at REI with zippered pockets for the peet's or sbucks card. Then I gave up coffee. So I needed to come up with a better end treat.

For the past two weeks, I have tried to get up and run, early. The first week, I made it out TWICE by 6:10 am. The second week, I only made it once before Mother Nature decided I should stay in bed for the 40 degree weather. [For all you East-Coasters, 40 degrees is equal to igloo weather for those of us from the West Coast; years of living in New Jersey did not thicken my blood. Or maybe it is just that I can't put California and cold together.]

This morning, since I didn't have to go to work, I could stay in until the heat of the day arrived, that would be noon. Too late for a latte? Not really, I can have chai latte at any time of the day, except evening as it has caffeine.

With the sun up and the day beautiful, I decided that my end of run treat would be to visit the cemetary. I didn't have the energy to go to the top of the hill and look out at the Bay Bridge, but I did make it to the Home of Eternity.



I like to read the gravestones as I jog SLOWLY by... it is almost like visiting a bunch of dead people I don't know. I love to try to piece together their lives from the scant information available. I like to think they enjoy the drive by visit even if they don't know me.

No comments:

Post a Comment