Saturday, February 25, 2006

Saffron robes, high tech sandals and frappacinos

In my quest to find compassion for myself and others, and in that way secure some measure of happiness, I have turned to meditation and reading the Dalai Lama.

I guess it's no surprise to discover that meditation does not come easily to those of us afflicted with ADD. (I like to call it multi-tasking, but I am fairly confident that not being able to concentrate on just one task at a time is most accurately diagnosed as ADD than a propensity to multi-task.)

Despite my initial inability to empty my mind and focus on only one thing, I have learned to meditate. I have even learned walking and eating practice.

Trudging faithfully through the Dalai Lama's book on Happiness, I have been intrigued by the teaching, though annoyed by the co-author's psycho-analysis deconstruction.

I imagine the Dalai Lama's life of practicing the deep compassion he describes in humility and the profound peace it must give him. I get the slightest twinge of guilt when I feel the need for a donut, nachos or a drink to help me get through difficult times.

It was delightful, then, today to witness the flutter of saffron robes (Buddhist monks) descend on the s-bucks with comfy high tech sandals (and socks, of course) to order their frappacinos. I guess no one is above human luxuries or treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment