Friday, May 04, 2012

Speaking of education

I am about to complete one year teaching in Gallup ... and I have to say, I appreciate my students helping me to reclaim what I love about teaching ... their curious faces, even when they were grouchy with me for giving them lots of reading and writing to do, were the bright spot of every week.
From Gallup
Last night in one of my classes (that I'm taking not teaching), we were talking about about what we had learned (it is a class about anthropology and education -- my purported field).  I reflected that I had learned that we need to take a step back more often, to get a better sense of what is going on before we form opinions ... something, I guess, I have been trying to teach my students in Gallup all semester.
Malibu ... Yucca... beautiful
It all got me thinking about how grateful I am for the opportunity to get back in the classroom this year ... I might not have made it through the year without my students and the grounding that is teaching for me.

Why we do it (teaching, that is) in the words of the students and the teachers.  Lovely.

Why it is so important for students ... education, that is.


From Gallup
-------rescued from a post that has been in draft form for nearly a whole year...
In case you were wondering what happens in some districts, check out this article on the cheating scam uncovered in Atlanta Public Schools. And juxtapose that situation with this story about an alternative high school in Los Angeles.

Oh, and while this post has been sitting in the draft folder, the California governor signed a bill allowing undocumented college students "to access private" scholarship monies. Funny, I didn't know that anyone had to give anyone access to private money. In any case, it can only help.

No comments:

Post a Comment