Wednesday, January 03, 2007

other news sources report...

From old faithful, aka NYTimes, over the past few days. There's plenty of good stuff here for a rainy day of newspaper reading!

I started by putting them in chronological order, but this is a MUST read. It is easily a three hanky story. A new mother (and NYTimes editor) reflecting on the loss of her fiance in Iraq, and the 200 page journal he created for his son, in case the father did not return. We should read everything like this and every other remembrance of the soldiers who have given their lives. I do not agree with this war, but I honor all the soldiers who are there, planning to go there, have survived, and especially those who have given their lives.

I could write a book on school reform, but I won't; suffice to say, it's a new year, but our challenges remain nearly the same as they were when NCLB was first authorized. What will the re-authorization hold?

It would appear that Chile has some lessons for us beyond the fact that they can elect a female president while we still debate whether or not one should run in our country.

Here's a year in review that doesn't make me gag: the deals of the year. Who knew business news could be so entertaining??

Reviewing an accidental governor as we re-invent the accidental president. I wonder what kind of retrospective will be written about our accidental governor; though his ascendancy can hardly be described as accidental. I am quite sure that it was all very careful planning and spending; and I doubt anyone will have very much to say about him in 50 years. I hope!

Oooh... I hardly ever want to be in Las Vegas, though I did enjoy the spa trip, and I wouldn't mind visiting my sister. But, I think it would be fun to see the unveiling of the new Disney.com. What does this say about my tastes and sensibilities??

YIKES... this is a scary story of power, denial and destruction in Los Angeles, and it's not about the Dahlia (which, I may add, I am still slogging through -- not a recommendation, but I actually paid for it, so I am going to finish it!).

The title of this piece, Second Thoughts on Gays in the Military, from a very unlikely source, is more provocative than it is substantive. You have to get several paragraphs in before he will admit to having second thoughts now, and his reason? Well, you should read it, but let's just say, DUH? or maybe: You think?? It's the world we live in, but I am still trying to figure out if I am the crazy one or if it's everyone else.

Almost there, I swear...just a few more stories...don't give up yet.

Deeply troubling story about closing local libraries for the afterschool hours to keep the hooligans (namely children, middle school students in this case) out.

Panel in NJ is trying to do the right thing about the death penalty. I guess there are a few others of like minds.

In case you were wondering if it is useful to keep studying (anything) into adulthood...read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment