Thursday, January 04, 2007

Common Valor

It should not be thought of as uncommon valor when someone sees another in need and does what he/she can to aid that person in need.

It should be the common reaction.

The man who jumped down to save the young man from being killed or dismembered was reacting in what is clearly his common reaction. He did not think of himself. He did not think of his daughters. He thought of that young man, knew there was something he could do, and did it.

My favorite part of the AP article is when he describes how he didn't think about his own safety until much later:
Meanwhile, Autrey said the impact of the risky rescue was sinking in. "It's all hitting me now," Autrey said. "I'm looking, and these trains are coming in now. ... Wow, you did something pretty stupid."
The NY Times article, of course, offers many more details. Maybe I am just overly emotional, but it made tears roll down my cheeks. Once again, the naturalness with which Mr. Autrey performed his heroism is plain to see:
Mr. Autrey, a 50-year-old construction worker, said he knew something was different when he showed up for work later on Tuesday. His boss, he said, bought him lunch — a ham-and-cheese hero — and later told him to take yesterday off. Then yesterday morning, as he walked to his mother’s apartment in Harlem, “a stranger came up and put $10 in my hand,” he said. “People in my neighborhood were like, ‘Yo, I know this guy.’ ”
My absolute favorite part, however, is his suggestion to his fellow citizens:
Mr. Autrey had some final words: “All New Yorkers! If you see somebody in distress, go for it!”
How many times have we walked away knowing that there was something we could do?

How many times have we just done the right thing when instinct told us what to do?

I don't know about the difference between small town and big city values. I think it has more to do with how you see yourself in relationship to the world. I am not sure if you can truly teach it. You mostly learn it by seeing people you respect living this way.

I always think of my father who likes to talk to people doesn't know, picks up strangers on the street and once brought home a homeless man to stay at our house. My mother is never sure that my dad is doing the right thing. My dad is always sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment