Saturday, December 30, 2006

love

For reasons that I cannot really explain, I have been contemplating this ineffable concept. Maybe it was the PBS show I watched the other day. It was a fascinating show questioning how people see/feel/experience all kinds of love. Have I mentioned I LOVE PBS?

Today, it would appear, others have love on the brain as well. And the universe has conspired to share their thoughts with me. Now it's your turn.

First there was this fabulous story on NPR about putting Neruda's love poems to music. Take a moment and listen or read. It's well worth it. I don't usually like operatic singing, but Neruda's words in this woman's voice were fabulous. I am going to dig around and see if the 20 poems of love is one of the books I kept when I moved west.

Then there was this article on Trillin. I can't tell you what the point of the article must have been other than to convince you that unconditional love is possible though elusive. I don't like memoirs, but I am looking forward to reading this one when it hits the library.

Though both of these stories ended in death and separation of the lovers, the overriding sentiment was not of loss but of love.

If that love exists, and it would appear the universe believes it does, I want it.

1 comment:

  1. Great entry! I love the pragmatic optimistic sentiment behind it. (sigh) love...I enjoy thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete