Friday, December 22, 2006

Elmyra-ed

When my first niece was a small child there was a cartoon character named Elmyra, if I remember correctly, who loved animals to death, or at least to torture. Her expression of love was most often a heart-felt death grip. There were other ways she tortured small animals, notably dressing them as humans, forcing them to behave in whichever way she deemed entertaining.

What is it called when a parent hold his/her child so closely in the name of love and protection to the detriment of the future of the child?

Various detrimental situations arise in my mind... the most obvious: the child doesn't learn to fend for him/herself, she/he has a warped sense of the world and his/her place in it, he/she may develop an aversion to being his/her own person on the off chance she/he would lose favor with the parent.

I could go on, and I want to, but clearly, it is none of my business. I am just making myself stressed out thinking about the repercussions. It's none of my business. I feel the need to repeat a couple more times to see if it will sink in.

It's none of my business.

It's none of my business.

Nope, it's not really making me feel less stressed, yet. I guess I need to try some of the meditation I learned this summer... release, send love, send forgiveness.

No matter how much I wish it were not true, things are what they are.

Slightly better.

It's unnerving how much of my life seems to need this refrain right now.

I wish you happiness but I cannot make your choices for you.

I will care for you but cannot keep you from suffering.

It's harder than it should be...mostly because it is easier to be angry and ill at ease because of the actions of others. I can only control my own reactions to the world. It doesn't seem like it, but I really did re-learn that this summer.

May I be undisturbed by the coming and going of events.

Good thing I took notes otherwise, I might have had to start over with my studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment