Saturday, July 21, 2012

UPDATED: Where Our Attention Should Rest

I woke Friday morning early so that I would be ready for my 6:30am shift ... and in my lazy waking moments, I heard about a shooting.

The news continued all day -- the worst day for me, because I am glued to media as I work.  I was thankful that I don't have cable so that I wouldn't be tempted to see the "news" channels talking incessantly -- not unlike the day they watched the boats and hoped for a flyover for the queen's jubilee.

I was particularly saddened to hear "experts" speak convincingly about how the motivation for this kind of senseless violence was certainly the attention -- the notoriety -- exactly what he was getting.  Seemingly this is the kind of attention he has never received in his life ... well, he is certainly in the limelight.  Then there were the thoughts that perhaps others would copy his actions also for attention -- but that didn't stop them from the speculation they were calling "reporting."

Meanwhile, I feel the best way to demonstrate that this kind of attention is not the best way to get noticed would be to spend more time talking about the pain caused -- perhaps highlight that thelives lost were of value rather than spend time talking about the value of the heinous acts.

I cannot say that I was pleased, however, to hear Colorado's governor say of the suspect, that he was one of those "people that are aberrations of nature..."  Perhaps, but this kind of speculation is likewise unnecessary and unproductive.  There were grieving families, and people waiting to hear about the fate of their children, brothers, sisters, friends, fathers, mothers...

Finally, we have some news on those whose lives were senselessly ended Friday morning (these are not in any particular order):

Jessica Ghawi "Redfield" -- whose story became the surrogate for all victims because of the ease with which the news people could find info on social networks about this young woman.

Jesse Childress -- an airman originally from the Los Angeles area did not survive the attack.

Matthew McQuinn -- died protecting his girlfriend.  The authorities are waiting to confirm his death until fingerprints arrive.

Micayla Medek -- 23-year-old died in the the theater though her friends escaped. May she live in their hearts.

Alexander "AJ" Boik -- an 18-year-old movie goer that just graduated from high school and was planning to attend Art School also did not survive the attack.  He aspired to be an art teacher.  We could have used his enthusiasm in the classroom.

Alex Sullivan -- unfortunately we watched as his father agonizingly searched for news about his son who was celebrating his 27th birthday at this movie.  Tomorrow would have been his first wedding anniversary. 


John Larimer -- another serviceman whose family will have to claim his body from a non-combat war zone. 

Alex Teves -- this 24-year-old recently received his master's degree in counseling ... we could have used his expertise today.  May he rest in peace.

Veronica Moser -- there are really no words to encapsulate the pain and agony caused by the loss of this six-year-old.  I am sending my most healing thoughts to her mother -- it would be exceedingly cruel for both of them to lose their lives in this mess.

Rebecca Wingo -- I don't envy her father who has to explain to his two grand daughters that their mother was murdered at the movies. 

Gordon Cowden -- the only information I found about him was that he was 51, making him the oldest victim.

Jon Blunk -- also died while trying to shield his companion.  There are no other details right now about his life, but I hope that we will learn more about him so that we can celebrate his living instead of just mourning his death.

May they all rest in peace. May their families and friends find strength and solace in their loving memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment