Monday, July 09, 2012

Favorite Characters, Part 2

I admit that watching The Mentalist is a guilty pleasure ... and one that I have to plan for as I cannot watch it online (though I recently discovered there are a few full episodes on TNT online).  And there is no denying that it was Simon Baker that brought me to the show.  His character, Patrick Jane, is entertaining enough -- and moderately sympathetic, particularly when they show him sleeping on the mattress beneath the Red John signature where presumably Jane found his dead wife and child.

But, I find the story lines tedious and rather unbelievable ... and that's not to say that most of the police shows are believable -- they are all patently unbelievable, given that for the most part they can sew up any investigation in about 40 minutes -- with time for glib remarks, love lives, families, and other drama.  This show, however, verges on the low budget side when it comes to believability.

As I have watched more episodes, I realize that it is not Baker (Jane) that I come back for but Kimball Cho, played by Tim Kang.  He is a truly delightful character, particularly because you get so little about and from him in any given episode.  He is so reserved, you could hardly name what he wears except for that you can actually see it.

But in the rare moments of spontaneity, you see glimpses of Cho's soul, and it can bring you back each time, hoping for more.

His character is certainly what brings me back -- and takes me online looking for episodes.

Here's a clip ... not necessarily the most representative, but you might get the idea (both of his character and the not so awesome features of the show - detailed above):

No comments:

Post a Comment