Friday, April 06, 2012

April Begins

A little over a week ago, I was musing that I wouldn't have to spend the night again in Gallup this semester. After all, it would be April and there would be no more snow.  A few days later, I was remarking about the eighty degree weather we were having to end March.  I said something about how perhaps we had skipped spring and gone right into summer... and then I quickly added, but it might be snowing again in April.

These are things one shouldn't say aloud.

One shouldn't even think these things.

I even complicated the issue by threatening to get my car washed ... it was caked with the remnants of whatever is used here to give you traction in the snow.

It turns out that washing would have been extra.

I usually worry about hitting snow in Grants, or in some area where there is nothing but luscious landscape.  Instead, the snow was sticking and making a mess of the roads. 

Eventually, I was able to pull off the road into what was left of the outskirts of town. 

I wasn't going to make it to Gallup on that day...

I waited there for the snow to stop or for the roads to warm up enough that I could drive home without fishtailing all over the road.

As I pulled up to my apartment, I saw this

The young girls next door had created this little guy while I was waiting by the side of the road.


He was exquisite... bark for eyes, and a carrot nose, and a proud artist
This is the most snow I have seen in Albuquerque since I moved here

No comments:

Post a Comment