Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Day at the Beach, NoCal Style Part 1

We have been celebrating the sun here in northern California this week... since I am supposed to be ENJOYING my unemployment, yesterday, I decided to get into the car and drive to Point Reyes to see if there were any whales near the lighthouse.

Unfortunately, I didn't look up any info before I got on the road and I failed to stop at the ranger's station. The lighthouse is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. That's the bad news.

The good news, is that I decided that there were many other beautiful things to see - so I just kept driving until I found Tomales State Park... after a little backing and forthing -- I didn't want the bay, I wanted the ocean... I found McClure's beach. If I had started a little earlier, I would have hiked all the way to Tomales Point, but there is plenty of time left for that adventure during my unemployment.

McClure's is one entry point to the beach and to get to it, you have to drive back an historic ranch and right through an elk preserve; oh and past a lot of very HAPPY cows -- I will post more about them at a later date. It's a hard life, what can I say?

This was the view from the top of the hill as I made my descent (take from the car, Rose Style):

At the end of the trail... here was my prize.



At the end of the cove, I found this opening and decided to explore.

This is what I found on the other side!

I decided to have a photo shoot with waves, rocks and SUN!



I followed these little guys -- they noticed and kept running away.
I am not sure the birds could read the warning about not eating the mussels...
Tidepool shots, I was racing the surf -- trying not to get wet, the water was very COLD.

Two from the ocean, waves and rocks photo shoot. The rocks are really the only compliant subjects.


more to come... I can't believe the number of pictures I took on my short trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment