Sunday, October 26, 2008

Tidbits from the weekend

Saturday, we visited the Taos Pueblo. In San Geronimo's Church, I lit a candle for all the native peoples who were hurt in the name of the Church.
It was interesting to see a matriarchal church. There were three different statues of the Virgin Mary with one directly in the center of the altar, but the Jesus statue was smaller and off to the side.

Sunday on our way to Chimayo (and yet another church visit -- what can I say, my parents are very religious even if I am not into the organized religion deal), my mom noted that the people driving by us seemed to be having a conflict. There was a McCain/Palin sticker centered on the back bumper, and directly beneath it was an Obama sticker.


As we have been driving through the southwest, I have been especially surprised at the lack of McCain/Palin signage. Especially in Arizona where I expect to see a profusion -- I saw only one big sign and one on a car... isn't AZ McCain country? We finally saw one person who felt the need to represent for everyone...



But, more often than not, there were Obama signs in windows and on lawns, such as this:

(these two were both shot in Mesilla, NM)

There was one stretch between Hatch and Socorro where there were more McCain (by maybe 5), but almost all the cities were definitely blue Obama, Obamanos and now in Northern New Mexico -- Nortenos Unidos. I especially liked Go Go Obama/Biden ... there was more but I can't remember, I saw them from the car and couldn't take a picture.

On the other hand, I have had no less than FOUR phone calls regarding my volunteering for the campaign next weekend -- each one contradicting the other and apparently not knowing what the right hand is doing when the left hand is dialling the phone.

The good news -- even if one of the crews doesn't want me if I can't stay til the 4th -- which I can't because I got a two month temp gig that starts on November 4th -- the Obama Nos Llama seem to have a place for me.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I'm starting to feel cautiously optimistic about this campaign.

    ReplyDelete