Sunday, June 01, 2008

the stars in the sky

The skies will be twinkling with a new star from now on. My friend Renea's gram passed away on Thursday.


She will bring a unique sparkle to the night sky. She was a remarkable woman: strong, proud, powerful, loving, accepting, nurturing and enduring.


I remember the pan of bread pudding she made especially for me. Oh... and the shortening bread she made when I expressed an interest. Queen of her castle and graceful hostess ... at the same time welcoming me as though I might be another granddaughter.

I could not understand the exquisite pain she must have felt to lose the physical trappings of her life in Katrina. When I saw her in Virginia, she retained her regal look and her strength, but some of her power was diminished. She seemed a little smaller, but she continued to issue sparks. Then again when I saw her in New York, her discomfort was visible. I longed for the chance to see her once more in New Orleans even if it could not be in her home.

Now I will visit her in my dreams and see her in the brightest nighttime star.

I am glad she will no longer have pain; I am sure her husband is waiting for her on the other side. I am sorry for the world. Without the kind of power and grace she gave us, our world will be smaller, crueler and less beautiful. May she rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. i read renea's blog often, i recently sent her an e-mail asking a question regarding sister locks, she graciously(sp?) asnswered my question. please extend my regret at her gradmother's passing. elaine jenkins(mytwobabies793@yahoo.com)thank-you

    ReplyDelete