Sunday, May 18, 2008

Imperfect yet Beautiful

How much more interesting and satisfying would our world be if we were willing to accept imperfection?

I am not talking about some philosophical description of our interior world.

Our country is currently rapt on the likes of American Idol and Dancing with the Stars (not to mention, Survivor, etal.); at the heart of these shows is the idea that someone must be the best, someone must win. The side effect of others must be ridicule is my least favorite part of the phenomenon. I just don't think we need more opportunities to run down people.

So, when I saw this piece on NBC's Nightly News tonight, my heart lightened and the smile sprouted across my face. It is the glorification of imperfection. It is the story about the Cuban circus rebuilding after losing most of its acrobats to defection. Instead of showing up expecting flawless routines, the fans show up to cheer regardless of how it turns out. The jubilation when the acrobats get it just right is so genuine, you can almost feel it. Likewise, you see the compassion and care on the faces of the fans when the acrobat makes good use of the trampoline that catches missed tricks.

I give you that the Cubans don't always have a lot to choose from in terms of entertainment, but they sure know how to appreciate what they do have. The same cannot always (or maybe even ever) be said of us in the so-called greatest country on earth.

Take a look and tell me what you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment