Thursday, March 06, 2008

FEEL LUCKY? SEARCH THIS.

This is the post that gets the most hits. It in fact brings more people to my blog than any other topic.


I hesitate to mention any of its contents here as I do not want to encourage any more misguided hits. This is not an attempt to get you to read it. I don't care. I just fear that so many people enter in certain text and hope for the best, maybe even hit that I am feeling lucky button and then get junk.


Maybe they get what they want, but I doubt it. Many, many people use Google.com as we can see from their stock price, however, I don't find it useful. There are times, especially when I am just entering text into the little box in the google tool bar, that I find exactly what I want. There are too many times when I am actually at google.com that I get nonsense. Sponsored website? or maybe just a logarithm gone awry.


I prefer excite.com and I prefer to put in all the words I think might show up... unless, I am feeling lucky; in that case, I just check the exact phrase option and up comes what I want. I like to dig through all the pages of found treasure. To me, it is like looking through the stacks at the library. It's as close as I can get to that feeling, anyway. I would much rather use my intuition about what is going to be useful on a topic than to let any computer, no matter how smart, decide for me.


I challenge you to do the test, enter the text in both and see what comes up first and what you have to dig for.

No comments:

Post a Comment