Sunday, February 10, 2008

where do you find hope?

I am a news junkie... I mainline it all day long.

I read stories about horrible, brutal killings.

I read as much political talk as I can before I need to go to the bathroom and vomit.

I read the most about education. Usually, they are stories about the problems and the lack of solutions. Sometimes, they are stories that give me hope.

This is especially true when it is a story about something unlikely.

First I have hope, then I have despair; but I try to hold on to the hope.

I worry about personality-driven change. I am not convinced that these kinds of reforms can last, especially in a system that specializes in breaking you down and burning you out. It is important to tease out the pieces that work, figure out if they can be sustained if you lose the personality, and/or replicated elsewhere. This is the really hard work that we often don't have a process for doing.

Still, I like this story.

And it gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment