Monday, January 14, 2008

Mondo Beyondo, part 1

Here's the challenge from Superhero, the life coach to whom I turned when I needed help to get on the road. [Check out Andrea's site, you will love it, I guarantee it.] This is part I, a little deep into January already, but done, nonetheless.

1. What do you want to acknowledge yourself for in regard to 2007?(What did you create? What challenges did you face with courage and strength? What promises did you keep to yourself? What brave choices did you make? What are you proud of?)
In 2007, I committed to making life more important than work and to seeking balance. I have been practicing experiencing life more and planning life less. For the most part, I kept these promises and practices for the year. I am proud of taking care of myself, supporting myself financially as well as emotionally. I made the brave choice of finishing the trail half-marathon, running in the middle of the night in a remote area of Nevada, and joining the gym. There's probably more, but these are the things that pop into my head.

2. What is there to grieve about 2007?(What was disappointing? What was scary? What was hard? What can you forgive yourself for?)
I was disappointed that I could not commit to a job sooner or to an academic program in time to turn in applications in 2007. It was scary to realize that I am ready to start dating but don't know how to do it. I can forgive myself for hiding whenever I felt I needed alone time or processing time. It was hard to face the work and life demons over and over as I allowed them to come forward and say their peace. I hope that it will be easier in the future to ignore their intrusions as I have already heard and dismissed all the things they have to say about me.

3. What else do you need to say about the year to declare it complete? Okay, the next step is to say out loud, "I declare 2007 complete!" How do you feel? If you don't feel quite right, there might be one more thing to say...

2007 was a grand experiment. I challenged myself to focus on me and not work or plans or expectations (real or imagined). I learned that I have more resources for doing this than I thought was possible. I recognized that life is a journey to be travelled, not planned. As an experiment, it did not always turn out well. Some days were harder than others, but ultimately they mostly just were. Life happens changing day to day and I discovered that I continue to be throughout it all. For the first time in my life, when things were not going as I would like, I did not wish to be dead. I held on for the morning light that I knew would come; I never felt like anything would be too much for me. It was a blessing to discover this to be true.

The final step is to consider your primary focus for the year to come. What is your primary intention or theme for 2008? Is it the year of joy? the year of self-care? the year of partnership? Stand up and say it proud, "2008 is my year of...."

2008 is my year of discovery. I want to explore more places: in my mind, in the world, in my heart and soul. I want to bravely face adventures in dating, or even face them timidly. I want to reach deep into the place where I have hidden all my intentions always believing they would never come true and show them the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment