Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Eclectic news round-up

These are the articles that caught my eye this morning, so I thought I would share my peculiar world view...

I caught a brief mention of the tattooed woman found in Peru yesterday (I am not sure if on NPR or in a headline on the AP wire), but I wasn't interested enough to read more about her. Tattoos don't really catch my attention. But, the NYTimes reports she is a WARRIOR WOMAN. Not sure what it means that warrior woman makes me want to read more, I will leave that to your imagination.

I have to admit that serious skepticism and cynicism were the more compelling reason than pure interest that led me open this article. I mean, the FBI investigating the NY Police Department? What next, they are going to go investigate the LA Sheriff Dept of the 1960's or 1970's? Maybe they will lend a hand to the Mexican government as they try to figure out how to tell people what really happened at Tlalteloco? In any case, I guess it means something that the FBI, albeit two years later, is trying to figure out if the NY Police Dept violated the civil rights of protesters.

Lest I be lulled into believing stereotypes associated with the South, little sparks of truth, justice and the American Way (?) keep poking through ... for instance, this little gem about the first successful challenge to the many state amendments against gay marriage. Ok, I am not saying that this article in any way makes me feel like folks in the South have suddenly become open-minded. It just gives me hope that their own rules will bring them down to earth in the end.

Let's be clear, I am not a Maureen O'Dowd devotee. I hardly ever read her column, actually, even though I am a NY Times Select member, so I could read it at any moment. Today's column was, indeed, a must read. There is just no turning away from a title like this: From McBeal to McDreamy. And it did not disappoint, though there were no pictures of said McDreamy. If you want to read the text and you are not a NY Times Select member, send me a note, and I will send you the text.

Finally, I don't have any real reason to be interested in this story, except that the coverage of this guy has been so complete, that I am now compelled to know more. Again, a catchy title that makes me think twice about whom they must be talking reeled me in. I am so weak when it comes to these things.

It would appear that I read no REAL news today. On the other hand, it should serve as a reminder to all you newspaper haters (read: all those overheard comments: "there is only bad news in the newspaper") that there are frequently all kinds of no-news-almost-tabloid stories in the newspapers to keep you entertained as well as informed. Happy Wednesday and Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment