Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Book

Most true happiness comes from one's inner life, from the disposition of the mind and soul. Admittedly, a good inner life is hard to achieve, especially in these trying times. It takes reflection and contemplation and self-discipline.
- W. L. Shirer

For a long while, I have been collecting quotes. Almost four years ago, I started making a book of quotes for a very dear friend. Even when we weren't talking and hadn't seen each other for a year, I was still collecting quotes.

I just opened the word doc where I have been collecting the quotes of late to put in a new one, and I found this one.

I have been living inside myself, in my head, in my heart, in my soul, for a while now. I don't really feel like talking to my friends, and I am enjoying, perhaps a little too much, going to the cafe by myself. I almost feel like if I don't stay inside that I won't get the work done... and I feel like the intensity of the work is lessened when I talk about it before I really understand it.

In the last month, though, I have begun to talk again... sometimes to complete strangers. I am also practicing listening. I am good at noticing, but not always patient enough to listen. I too often rely on my ability to intuit people's emotions, struggles, concerns, that I don't cultivate my listening skills. I need to listen with my ears as well as my heart.

Here's the latest quote, found it on another bloggers musings, I don't think she'll mind if I share it:
"La ausencia disminuye las pequeñas pasiones y aumenta las grandes, lo mismo que el viento apaga las velas y aviva las hogueras" -- François de la Rochefoucauld
Translation: Absence diminishes the small passions and increases the great ones, just as the wind blows out the candles and revives the bonfires.

No comments:

Post a Comment