Sunday, October 02, 2005

who really said that??

Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.
- -- Helen Keller

I read the quotes attributed to Helen Keller, and I think to myself: is it possible that this woman who could not hear or see or speak and still figure out the world better than most folks?? Or did someone else make up all this and just put her name to it? That's a really ugly and cynical thing to think and especially to write about, but that is the thought I have right after I think: wow, what a profound woman. So, is it just plain jealousy? Wish I could be so profound... and I don't even have any physical limitations. Or is it something else??

Anyway, I love quotes. I don't really care if they are all cranked out by some crazy quote machine and no one ever said them in real life.

I like the way they summarize and illuminate in a short space.

I like that they get right to the point and don't bore you with a bunch of examples.

I am tired of reading books and essays by folks who want to hit you over the head with the TRUTH as seen by this author or that author.

LOVE LOVE LOVE quotes...good, true, impossible, funny, witty, sage, or just silly. I LOVE QUOTES.

2 comments:

  1. I like the large rate of return in the form of inspiration that quotes give me for the amount of time it takes to read them!

    ReplyDelete