Monday, June 17, 2013

NRU, mishy mashy gooey

Let me say, first, I am confused by the LA Times online rules -- sometimes you can answer a question and still read the article, and sometimes you are just out of luck.  So, I guess, hope for the best with those links.  It means that I have been reading more selectively on the latimes.com -- a sad development since I really do appreciate the writing.

For those considering marriage (or remarriage) on the writing/feeling of vows.  Truly lovely.

This story seems a little like a fairy tale.  If it could work out, it would be truly amazing.  But the dark creatures waiting in the wings to dismantle this proposal seem formidable.  And there doesn't seem to be a hero/ine that can come in to save the plan.

I don't like musicals (ok, I like select musicals), but I am intrigued by this non-musical musical.  And, I would like to know why John Mellencamp has a black eye in the photo.

I got these ladies' back.  No one should have to wear shoes that hurt one's feet.

This story hits a little too close to home...but I am still glad for the message.

It is too bad that people don't understand how to inject some fruitful (and necessary) debate about the currently proposed immigration reform.  This is the *excuse* for not dealing with it in the new Cesar Chavez movie, according to the Los Angeles Times.  In fact, this movie would have been just the right place to talk about the complex views Mexican-Americans have about immigration -- including the need to put some of the contradictory views to the side in order to get something passed.  It would have been the absolute best place to discuss guest workers and the perils of going with a compromise position for these very vulnerable workers.  Sorry that the film makers missed this opportunity to provide a space for debate and dialogue.  It is not a surprise, however, because the Sunday talk shows still haven't *found* any Latinos to talk about immigration on tv... apparently we are more invisible and incomprehensible than even we thought.

For Father's Day... on redemption, on choosing fatherhood, and life.


No comments:

Post a Comment