Friday, June 21, 2013

Movie Summer

Although I am also working and preparing for exams and revising my proposal, I am pledged to make this the summer of the movies.

In short, I want to see movies -- in the theater -- this summer.  During the school year, I want to see movies, but if I get to one every three months, then it is a miracle.  Summer offers the further advantage that I *need* air conditioning -- and movie theaters provide cool spaces.

Now, if only the movies that I would like to see were showing ...

So far, I have seen these movies in the theater:

Star Trek -- great ... just what the die hard Trekkie wants to see... movie critics may feel otherwise, but that is their problem.

After Earth -- it was available during the time I had to see a movie with a friend ... so there you have it. I knew nothing about the movie til I got there -- and saw a million and one apocalypse movie trailers.  I have two words for the film makers obsessed with end of the world themes: get involved.  I mean, seriously, if you are that worried, perhaps spending millions on movies is not the best way to build consciousness about the issue.  This particular movie was interesting because of the Scientology overtones ... makes me want to rent The Master from redbox ... but it doesn't come with air conditioning. [**um... in between drafting this and publishing it, I rented *for free* The Master -- and it was terrible and unenlightening; the only bright spot ... it was free.]

Identity Thief -- caught it at the cheap theater just before it was to be released at redbox, so I am justifying the extra expense on the air conditioning. It was darker than I expected. I still enjoyed it, but I might have *loved* it if I hadn't gone to the theater expecting a *light* and funny experience.

Speaking of Melissa McCarthy, I am hoping to catch the next one with Sandra Bullock -- and hoping it will be more funny and less dark.

Olympus Has Fallen -- had so very many possibilities, and then it started to just blow up things and move the plot in order to fire on more things ... what a waste of talent.

The Stories We Tell -- though this film will also require me to feel like I have some emotional strength reserves ... meaning it might not be this summer.  I guess the universe was listening because the movie only lasted in the theater here for one week.  But I caught it up in Santa Fe. AMAZING... is all I can say, run out and see it. I have felt this strongly about a recommendation since Sugarman.

Upcoming at our local, independent cinema:
Something in the Air
Blancanieves
Berberian Sound Studio

I am serious about this summer of movies thing.

Here are some others that I am considering seeing; time, price and air conditioning dependent:

All You Need Is Love because every summer deserves a love story.

Frances Ha -- the reviews have intrigued me ... but I am not sure if this movie will be the *summer light* that I sometimes need ... however the a/c might be enough to entice me in.

Someday I will get around to telling you all about the movies on Netflix and from Redbox...

No comments:

Post a Comment