Monday, June 03, 2013

NRU - mish mash

Not sure what to make of the way this study was presented.  I don't take issue with the different ideas presented, it's a mish mash in itself. Rather, I am concerned that there doesn't seem to be any critical thought given ... when "news" is presented in blog form, it should have a stance, in my opinion. And if  you are going to take a stance on a study, it should require you to do more than just report blythly, in my opinion. But I am a pill.  So, take it for what it's worth. If it were my blogpost (oh, it is!) then I would have pointed out that what is really being studied is not viewpoint but expression.  And it is not too difficult for anyone who has traveled around this country to know that some portions of the country are more known for direct expression that is often read as intolerant.  I also might have wondered about the type of expression ... and hoped that those who conducted the *study* would also have considered this.  Rant complete.

Griner effect -- I have tried to figure out what I want to say about this article for days ... and I can't.  Just read it if you are interested in the way an "out" college player might be able to change climate/culture on conservative campuses.  I am not sure the journalists there have exactly figured it out.

I am seldom interested in seeing theater productions, but every once in a while, I get the bug.  After reading this piece, I thought, "I would like to see this play."

Some women don't get celebrated enough in life, and then we don't learn about them until they are gone.  Here is one ... I had heard of her, and I shared her skepticism of the "pinkwashing" of America.  May the memory of her and her work keep us honestly moving forward to find better ways to cure cancer.

This article would have been much more effective if it included the text of the speech.  I am open to believing the author of the article; I am more interested than ever in this President Johnson.  But I am left with not much more than a cryptic, nostalgic reflection about a Memorial Day speech that might have foreshadowed something... too bad.

In honor of my trip to Nashville, here is an article about a country songwriter with an uncommon personal story ... and a very successful songwriter at that.

I am not sure that I want to read her books, but I was enthralled by the story of her life, the way the author of the article painted their visit, and the light this article, in particular, brings to the notion of acceptance and how one can remake a relationship with a complicated family member.  The author of the article's books might be a better choice for me right at this minute -- maybe ten years from now, with my grief far enough in the past (if that is possible), I could read Ms. Wall's memoir.  I am appreciative, however, of her courage to share her story, perhaps it is her therapy; I admire the relationship she has built with her husband, which seems to be founded in truth-telling.

Fascinating article about Catholic women being ordained as priests.  Yes, you read that right... I had heard about this from a woman at a conference, but this article sets out the issue and its practices pretty thoroughly.

Glad to hear that the demise of independent booksellers was greatly exaggerated.

RIP Jean Stapleton.

I wish there was video to go with this story, and I rarely ever want video attached to a story. I am sorry that Jon Stewart seems to be on vacation or on his leave already because he must be loving this ... oh, FOX NEWS, I knew someday your wicked ways were going to bite you in the ass... I just never guessed it would be your own female anchors and correspondents that would take the first bite.  Hope this new found sense of pride will last with these ladies, though I am doubtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment