Thursday, May 16, 2013

NRU Perspective Edition & note on absence

This piece on dairy farmers and their travails with the immigration police offers a perspective on enforcement that right-wing diatribes never seem to get to addressing:  who will work the agricultural jobs when we block the undocumented from getting those jobs?  This piece, like many others that have addressed the fake argument that the unemployed will take these jobs, makes the point that not only are the jobs difficult to fill but that this is an industry that is producing other jobs that will also be jeopardized.  That is, blocking the hiring of some undocumented to the work on the farms, jeopardizes the yogurt manufacturing jobs and so on ... the it's the economy, stupid.  That we are having this enforcement discussion in the first place is so ridiculous...but there you have it.

Hoping to catch this documentary on Wonder Woman on PBS's POV.  I have to admit I would go to see a blockbuster with a woman as the main character even though I haven't had any interest in the comic book male movies. I am a fan of the Wonder Woman series, I am sure I watched every one of them. I remember looking forward to it each week -- but I have always been sad about Lynda Carter not wanting to own her heritage.

This a lovely tribute to a very funny man who like all humans had his troubles.  RIP Jonathon Winters, thank you for sharing the bright spots and the dark ones, too.

I started this collection a while ago ... and couldn't really bring myself add to it.  But I just read this piece (open on my computer for a while) and realized that it needs to be included here. In the collecting and piecing together the photos for the funerals, I have felt the incompleteness of not including the stories ... but we are too close to these stories right now.

There have been many other stories that I have heard and read when I have thought ... oh, I should share that.  But my brain has not been able to hold that thought long enough to actually share anything.

I am off for a little recharge, perhaps in the resting and reviving my brain will remember how to hold one thought long enough to follow through.  I will be back by the end of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment