Wednesday, May 15, 2013

lessons and a hard place

Never try to learn more from an
experience than there is in it.
There are some vivid and painful
experiences that have little to teach us.
-D. Sutter

I am stuck between the notion that there should be something to learn from tragedy, and the idea that living through each part of life is the lesson in itself.

It's not comfortable.

I am trying to be hopeful, but mostly I am just trying to upright.

Perhaps I will figure out how to fall down and still feel strong.

You gain strength, courage and confidence
by every experience in which you really 
stop to look fear in the face.
You are able to say to yourself,
"I lived through this horror.
I can take the next thing that comes along."
You must do the thing 
you think you cannot do.
-Eleanor Roosevelt

1 comment:

  1. What you said here: "I am stuck between the notion that there should be something to learn from tragedy, and the idea that living through each part of life is the lesson in itself." Perfect. A thousand times perfect. We don't need to excavate each and every part to wring value out of it. Survive. That's valuable enough.

    ReplyDelete