Friday, October 02, 2015

NRU mishy and mashy

It is heard to know what to think or how to feel about this piece on a young woman with cancer who decides to have her brain preserved through cryogenics.  On the one hand, everyone needs to deal with death in their own way, and if they have the means to do this, who are we to say no?  On the other hand, money trumps everything?!  So, if young people stricken by brain cancer can get enough money together, they can attempt to stave off death?  But young people in the same condition who want to hasten their deaths, do not have that right?  At least the legislature in California finally got it together to send a bill to the governor - we'll see what he does with it.  I don't think citizens have a right to opine on the life decisions of other citizens -- but it seems that laws should not either.  I may or may not disagree with either of these young women, but ultimately it should be each individual's choice what to do with his/her life.

I am not trying to say that clowning or playing music for small children is in my immediate future, but I was inspired and impressed with Robert Markowitz's story finding joy and how what we do for a living is connected to that.

Volunteered at the food bank recently and discovered just how far we have come in getting fresh food into the hands and homes of people in need. It was wonderful to be a part of the endeavor.  Looking forward to this event to find reasonably priced, easy to produce food to be sold at "bodega" like stores in neighborhoods with limited healthy food options.  I love the whole idea - and can't wait to taste the chefs' creations!

An unlikely art collector discusses his obsession with art, in general, and how he came to Chicano art and the group CACA -- better than an ironic mustache, I promise.

I cannot believe I have to write about this *again* [and the irritated tone of voice my president used to describe his grief, anger and frustration sums it up pretty well].  I have a tremendous amount of respect for Sheriff Hanlin for denying glory to the coward who took innocent lives rather than get help, figure out his shit or just shut up and go home:
Sheriff Hanlin said at a news conference that he would not speak the gunman’s name.
“Let me be very clear, I will not name the shooter,” he said. “I will not give him the credit he probably sought prior to this horrific and cowardly act.”
 He also encouraged reporters “not to glorify and create sensationalism for him. He in no way deserves it.”



No comments:

Post a Comment