Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Outrage

Updates included

Not exactly the right word because it feels equally angry and sad.

I was already angry when I read the article (blogging in the iPod so I can't attach it right now) this morning. I ranted on fb and set out to get some work done. Not exactly the article I read this morning, but close enough.

Then I picked up the student newspaper to read that a professor and his friend were murdered by the friend's ex-boyfriend. Sad enough -- tragic really as one student remarked, we don't have an excess of Chicano professors to be sacrificing then on the altar of domestic abuse. But really this is just a continuation of the previous outrage.

Why is the safety of women not important? Why are women's lives not valued? Better not to even ask about the value of children's lives because we know the answer to that: they are merely possesions to be done with what you will. Apparently women are too.

I am afraid to embark on the study to compare sentences for men who are violent with women with those who steal cars or other possessions.

And, no, I don't believe in the legality or usefulness of Megan's and other victim-named laws. These are end runs around the issue. We know that sexual predators will attack again and likely increase their brutality and leathality (probably not a word - so blame it on the outrage or the headache or the heart ache - your choice). Yes, we know and we still lightly sentence them and let them out to find more victims.

Jaycee Dugard. There should be no more need for words than her name.

Thank the universe that she somehow survived. And do right by her and all the other victims who no longer have a voice. Use your sentencing powers to do with sexual predators what you have been doing with drug offenders for years.

Just do it. Do the right thing.

They are angry tears, the kind that hurt whether you hold them in or let then flow.

1 comment:

  1. It's just me ... so the parents of the second girl whose remains were found recently wants stronger anti-predator laws. I disagree for above reasons ... but I also need to say that we need to rally around ALL children and ALL women who are victimized, not just the cute and cuddly ones.

    Another article I won't be able to put my hands on right at this moment suggested that wealthier parents get more attention on their missing children because they know how to "work" the media.

    Perhaps, or perhaps it is just the blond hair, as others have suggested in the past. Whichever is irrelevant to me.

    Whenever any woman or child goes missing, we should pursue it with the same diligence. I will take frustration of finding a runaway teen over the heartache of finding a dead or raped teen or child.

    Let it be known, I don't have any children and I feel very strongly about this ... it isn't just because I am a woman, it is because we treat women and children as inferior beings.

    It should not be that parents are only moved when the child looks like their child either.

    Just a little more ranting before I go back to the reading I should be doing.

    ReplyDelete