Thursday, January 14, 2010

My favorite crow

Fall of 2008 I went on a twenty-one day car trip with my parents. You may remember if you were reading the blog then, I am sure I must have mentioned it. All three of us survived, though I will admit that there were several tense moments. The best day, by far, was the day we spent in the petrified forest.

If you haven't visited there, I encourage the road trip. Even if it means several days trapped in a car with your parents -- you know the ones who used to be adults and now act like children.

While driving through, my dad spotted some crows sitting in the shade of a tractor. He told me to give them a treat. I knew we should not feed the animals in a national park. I have read the stories about bear #6531 who became accustomed to human food and then had to be relocated when he couldn't be broken of the habit of pulling of car doors to get to coolers full of chips and beer and leftover pizza if they were lucky.

Surely crows would not suffer this same fate if I just gave them a little dried cranberry from our healthy trail mix!? (healthy snacks is an entire other blog post I cannot attempt just now with my tender feelings still a wreck from these last few days trying to teach my parents healthy eating -- really only refreshing their memories.). Well, those park rangers know of what they speak when it comes to feeding the animals and probably many other topics.

I gave up the cranberry or two, afterall they weren't going to share the one. And they accepted agreeably. Hopping over to pick it up and cocking their heads up in recognition.
Little did I know that they were actually memorizing my car's looks and probably the license plate.

At each subsequent pull out(for that is how one tours the petrified forest) there he would be, waiting for his treat. At one point my mom got a photo of him flying along side our car. [sorry somehow I can't find that one...]

Well we appreciated his earnestness and industrious commitment to us, it was clear we should stop feeding him or risk his having to be relocated --and featured in the next newsletter.

At least it was clear to me. My father was so tickled he wanted to keep on feeding him, though not proffering treats did not dissuade his attentions to us.

As I drove near the petrified forest on my way to California this past December I swore I saw him following me again.

Perhaps he has not forgotten us!! As I approach there again on my way back to Albuquerque I am smiling at all his brethren and wondering how he's doing.

Location:Starbucks, Flagstaff,AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment