Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Alexander and I Need to Compare Notes...

You know those mornings when you wake up and the little voice says, stay home. It's not quite a premonition. In fact, it feels like that inner teenager just wanting to be a slacker. So, you drag yourself out of bed and face the day when you really should have stayed put.

The pounding headache should have made a greater impression on me, but since I had a doctor's appointment at noon anyway...got to the bus stop and waited and waited and waited. Finally a bus appears, and I realized that I didn't have my bus pass... only one five dollar bill. In all that waiting I could have A) walked the rest of the way to work, or B) bought something to break that bill. I checked my change purse and there were exactly the number of quarters I needed for the bus fare... seven. Magic. I guess I was meant to be on my way to work.

I barely made it to the appointment on time, just poor planning, I guessed. When I got there, it turns out there was a pile of paperwork problems. Fifteen or twenty minutes, the physical therapist decided we should have the appointment anyway because who knew when there would be another one available. I thought maybe my luck was turning around. When I went to pay the copay, I realized that I had left my debit/bank card in the atm this morning.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to cancel my card and finding out I would have to wait two weeks to get a new one and that it would cost me... on the other hand, no one had picked it up and charged my life away... now that debit cards can be used as visa's with just a swipe, my entire savings could have been blown at McDonalds. Looking for silver linings...

I decided to take my sore neck to the masseuse. The first place had no appointments available, but the second did. Score. Now my luck was really turning around. I felt so good after the massage, I went grocery shopping, did some laundry and bought myself the first food I had eaten all day. I was happy to be putting the bad day behind me.

Then a knock at my door... a neighbor coming to tell me that a bus had just hit my car and took off. Lucky that I have neighbors who know who I am, notice what is going on outside and bother to call the police. I met the sheriff at my car... I had to take the parking spot on the street today, the one I resist just because other cars have been hit. Usually it is because they are driving too fast and can't negotiate the bump. This was some bus driver who took a wrong turn and was trying to make a three point turn on my teeny tiny street.

I resisted the temptation to march down to the store and buy myself dessert. I met some nice neighbors and had positive interaction with law enforcement. Not sure how I will get to Thanksgiving, but I am sure it will all work out in the end. It certainly was the icing on the cake.

Next time, I wake up with that feeling that I should stay home, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment