Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What price happiness?

It's hard to break routines... whether they bring us joy or pain, once we are in a routine, we generally stick to it. Even when the routine isn't working for us, we keep following it.

I find myself trying to retrain my brain:
Leave work on time...
Don't take work home...
Make time to exercise...
Eat good food that is good for you...
Talk to your friends...
Write in the journal...
Blog...

I don't need a study to tell me that making more money will not make me happier. Neither will finding the "right" partner or having the "perfect" job.

I do believe in happiness. But I am not convinced there is a continous state of happiness. One plan I have for the next few months: reread the Dalai Lama's book on happiness and take notes. There is something about living in the moment that money can't buy. I hate to call it contentment because I have some negative associations with the notion of content vs happy. Maybe that is part of the problem. I don't know. Content shouldn't equal settling.

No comments:

Post a Comment