Friday, April 12, 2019

comment that turned into a post

I intend to post.

I draft pieces and they feel flat and ugly and stupid and they languish.

But, sometimes, what I am feeling does come out, in response to others. I wrote this response to Anne Nahm on her post. And I realized it wasn't a comment. It was a post, wanting to come out. So, unfiltered, here it is.

Grief has changed my life... I can't say all in bad ways, but it is really hard to find the good ways (and, truthfully, when I do, I get bitterly angry about those changes, too).
When the experts say, everyone grieves in their own way, it's irritating, but true. 
The first year, for me, was interrupted when I had another major loss (brother first and then seven months later, sister). In the first seven months, I went from being unable to sleep or eat and wanting to claw through the floor, to feeling like I might be ok. 
And then the second loss. I completely lost it, but in a very strange way ... not unlike what you describe, but also different. I crawled in a "I'm ok" hole and stayed there, refusing to feel, heal, or deal.  
And then everyone else in my family fell apart in very open, real ways. My reaction to that was: I'M OK, I can handle it all! I will fix everyone. I can stick to all my plans and all my deadlines, EVERYTHING IS FINE! 
When I scheduled my qualifying exams, no one even thought to say, Are you sure you can do this? 
In fact, no one checked in on me. 
Friends I have known for year, for whom I have been a major emotional support for every little thing in their lives, did not even call me to see how I was.
I was busy. I was holding everyone else up. 
When I mentioned to a virtual stranger how hard the weekly calls with my mom and sister-in-law and brother-in-law were straining me because I couldn't take any more pain, she shamed me. 
Apparently, it was my job to be OK! FINE! Nothing to look at here...
I was so beyond dealing with the grief that I saw my sister everywhere. I would see her drive by in a car. I would glimpse across a crowded mall, and lose her before I could catch up.  
And I would think, good, she got away. She doesn't have to deal with this. I was developing an intricate story about how she was living a new, better, unfettered life..
And this month will be SIX YEARS since I lost my sister, and I just barely started crying about it a year ago... and it still comes out as yelling and screaming and angry and conflicted and and and ... it seeps out whichever way it wants to, when it wants to, unbidden, unwelcome...
All this to say, it really is different for everyone. 
And whatever gets you through the day. [And all those other things people say which are all too true.]
But also there is no way around grief. You have to go through it. When you feel you have the strength to face the loss, the scrubbed memories may just come rushing back and rushing out. And even when you are not "ready" ...
I checked in on you the other day because I want you to know that your grief matters... whatever stage or feeling or denying, it all matters, to me, and to a lot of others... but you don't need to post anything. You don't need to entertain me.
I will keep checking on you. <3

4 comments:

  1. followed you here from Anne Nahm.... just want to say I feel you and also I hear you. Well, as much as a complete stranger who only knows the above words can hear you.

    I have had similar experiences where I've felt like I've put in a shitload of effort for other people and then they've vanished re my problems.

    I am so very sorry about your brother and sister, because holy shit that's horrible. It's also horrible to feel like you can't really fall apart ever and you have to keep coping.

    You deserve to have people checking on you, too.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I just realized that there were comments awaiting moderation - four years worth ... thanks for this comment. Truly appreciated ... and sadly still needed.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thank you... see above, apparently I turned off the comments email because all I ever got was spam ... and then I missed four years of comments.

      Delete