Monday, March 02, 2009

haunting

Someone I know only via facebook posted a link to this blog a while ago.

For reasons that I cannot explain, I decided to follow it. So whenever the sisters post to the blog, it shows up in my reader.

It is a heart and gut wrenching story. The sisters are looking for their baby sister or brother, born while their mother and father were in custody. Their parents were never found. Many of the children born to the detained were given to the families with connection to the government or the military.

Beyond the pain and heartache, there is a faith that they will find her that pervades. This is not a chronicle of their loss, it is a call to their sister/brother. It is more than a message in a bottle, but it is something like it -- tossed into the internet all the images of their parents and the stories they can remember. Descriptions of what they look like now -- what they think he/she will look like. Pictures of the family that anxiously awaits her/his arrival/return.

I can't imagine the strength it takes to continue to believe more than 30 years after the sister/brother they never knew was born.

Perhaps because I have been struggling to understand the meaning of "family" and "found family" in the past few months, this story has been tugging at my heart. I guess I share it as a way to get their bottle passed around to a few more eyes -- with the hope that someone will see it and know something.

La Plaza de Mayo was on my list of places to visit while in Argentina. We didn't get there on a day when the mothers/grandmothers were marching because it was a holiday, but here I am with my little sister (coincidentally born in the same time frame as many of the missing children).
If you want to know more about las madres de la plaza mayo, check out this link. It is in Spanish. You could also catch this movie.

This is the Pink Palace -- opposite the Plaza.

No comments:

Post a Comment