Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Must See Film

I just watched the documentary Made in LA on PBS's P.O.V. (one of my favorite shows ever).

I think it speaks best for itself...so you should watch it. Check your local listings...it should be on your local PBS station.

I had the opportunity to go see it in San Francisco this evening and even meet the filmmakers, but I had to work late. Luckily I taped it.

I wish I could have been there, though, to feel the energy in the air. To participate and hear the audience participation. To feel shock, the horror, the pride and the strength.

Instead, I cried silently with the women, felt proud of their determination, felt the pain in my heart when they were frustrated, and ultimately felt relieved when their hard work was rewarded, even if in a small way.

It's important to know that we are all a part of this crazy mess. It's not poor people in some backward country sewing your clothes and they should be happy for the job and the money. It's poor people in this country, your country. You know, the one that you want to send your kids to other countries to fight for...

Exploitation should not be the American way.

It is hardly the legacy I would want my children to have.


Oh...and as a special treat, at the end of the film, there are two shorts. The second a film called Bullet Proof Vest by May Lin Au Yong lets two young siblings from Richmond, CA speak eloquently about why they cannot play outside. You can watch it here; it's only five minutes long, so take break and check it out.

Extremely powerful.

I love PBS... who needs cable?
;)

No comments:

Post a Comment