Monday, March 07, 2011

Coupled part 1

I have never seen them at a table. They are usually on the comfy chairs. He always on the computer and she always grasped by the hand.

They are both pretty short. He can't be over 5'8" and she seems shorter than me but may just be my height 5'6". He is African American and often wears loose pants with a long shirt over them, and sometimes a little hat. I am sure that there are specific names for the clothes, but I don't know them. Sometimes she wears them too. She is blond and looks up and only seems to look at him directly.

She was looking through a large coffee table book when I arrived. A few times she got up and went over to the condiment island. She shuffles, head down in the most servile way. Does she always have her head covered?

Then she moved her chair next to him. She watches his lips move as he reads to her. She glances at the screen. Her gaze doesn't show interest as much as servile.

Maybe I am projecting. I have the headphones on so I cannot hear what he is saying.

When his hands are on the keyboard, she strokes his knee. They both wear wedding rings, but there is some odd power dynamic that defies the perception of the devoted married couple.

She moves the chairs, watches like a hawk for the comfy chairs, waiting for one to open up. I mean waiting for it... standing right next to a person who gives the inkling that he/she will leave. She waits, not truly patiently, though she doesn't say anything, and then she pounces. He comes over and takes the seat, then she goes off in hunt for a chair to sit next to him.

Despite the fact that she is always giving off the lowly woman vibe, she clearly knows her role and relishes it, performing it with exactitude and fierceness. She secures the seating... just like he likes it. If she can't do it right away, she becomes the sentry on the look out for just the right seating...goldilocks style.

I always wondered what they were reading on the computer, and then they sat next to me the other day instead of across from me. They just use the internet... they read articles. The only ones I could make out where the celebrity chisme articles. And, he really reads then aloud to her. Can she not read? Or is it something to do with their power dynamic.

It's awful, but I can't help but think of the Garridos when I see these two. I am not saying that they have some young blond woman they abducted from somewhere sequestered in their backyard, but it is just such an odd relationship.

You will have to make up the pictures for yourself.

Location:Historic U.S. 66,Albuquerque,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment