Thursday, April 15, 2021

Poetry Thursday, Poetry Month! Rafael Campo

 California
~Rafael Campo

I used to dream of living here. I hike

a trail I know that at the end opens


to glorious views of the city I did

live in once, when men my age kept dying


while I learned how to diagnose AIDS.

Some dreams don’t come true, and some dreams become


nightmares. Across a field that smells of sage,

a few horses loiter. I want to think


that they forgive me, since they’re noble creatures.

They stamp and snort, reminding me they know


nothing of forgiveness. I used to dream

that someday I’d escape to San Francisco,


when I was still in high school and I knew.

Tall and muscled, the horses are like the jocks


on the football team who beat me once, as if pain

teaches truth and they knew I had to learn.


I used to dream I was as white as them,

that I could slam my locker closed and not


think of jail. Some nightmares come true,

like when my uncle got arrested for


cocaine. My family never talked about it,

which made me realize they could also feel shame.


That’s when I started dreaming I could be

a doctor someday, that I could get away,


prescribe myself a new life. Right now, as

the city comes into view, I think of those


animals and hope they got what they deserved.

The city stretches out its arms, its two bridges


to Oakland, to Stockton, to San Rafael,

to Vallejo; places I could have been from


but wasn’t. It looks just as it did

all those years ago. Yet I know it’s changed


because so many of us died, like Rico,

who took me up here for the first time.


We kicked a soccer ball around and smoked

a joint. I think we talked about our dreams,


but who can remember dreams. I look out

and the sun like your hand on my face


is warm, and for a moment I think this is

glorious, this is what forgiveness feels like.


Copyright © 2020 by Rafael Campo. Originally published in Poem-a-Day on October 5, 2020, by the Academy of American Poets.

No comments:

Post a Comment