Friday, June 10, 2011

Newsworthy?

I am not waking up to NPR this week since I am not in my house ... though I guess I could set up the alarm if I really wanted to... instead I am catching up with the news online.

Here are a few things to share...

This story about methane under the house is scary and fascinating at the same time. I found a follow up article about what the gas company plans to do as well. With the explosion in San Mateo, I hope all the pipes are being checked thoroughly...

Happy to report Styrofoam containers may be a thing of the past in California soon.

This story about a transgender man competing in the Escape from Alcatraz race was an unexpected gem. I am not always fond of SF Chronicle pieces, but this one was very well researched and reported!

Here's a follow up to Hector Tobar's real Angeleno piece with feedback from readers. He asked for it, and he got it.

I read this with my fingers partially covering my eyes. I am worried that this (along with her book) just becomes a way to objectify and victimize her further. There is a tremendous amount of hurt here. But she deserves to have her story told if that is what she wishes. I am tired of giving so much space and time to the perpetrators and not the survivors. So, for better or worse, here it is.

Looks like I was hording a good amount of articles... that's enough for one go around.

No comments:

Post a Comment