Wednesday, February 19, 2020

The Movie Pledge

Way back when (2015), the Academy saw fit to nominate no movies or actors who were appreciably African American or any other ethnicity that was not white. Folks called out the Academy with the hashtag #oscarssowhite. Knowing that we need to take personality responsibility around this issue instead of just being outraged lest the Academy slip back into their whiteness, I made a pledge that year.

I pledged to not *pay* for any movie (including others inviting me and paying) that did not have at least one lead actor who was not white.

I extended that pledge to not watching any TV show that did not have at least one lead character played by a not white actor.

The pledge is limiting ... and sometimes what I am able to watch is less than satisfying.

I am into this pledge a full five years now ... and I have noticed that TV folks have figured out that some of us want more than white leads.

This year, in particular, a bunch of new shows not only had all non-white leads (Party of Five reboot, for example), but several had super diverse casts (Nancy Drew, The Deputy), including out and proud LGBTQ, though sadly light on trans except for Pose.

Movies, however, have not caught up.

I have some thoughts on this I will share as soon as I can get some time to write.

***links above track the #oscarssowhite from 2016 to now

No comments:

Post a Comment