Monday, May 06, 2013

NRU, mostly education, not necessarily snarky

I enjoyed this piece on playing music for little ones during lunch hour in the cafeteria... but the radio title was a little more than confusing since music at lunch hardly seems like silent lunch.  Glad they decided to use a different title for the online version.

Looking forward to see what Isiah Thomas will do with his Masters in Ed.   I am particularly interested in his views on the exploitation of young Black men in college sports. It is an issue that needs a champion.

I am collecting some articles for my dissertation, so bear with me as I post them here. I am not necessarily endorsing the piece, just need to be able to access it in future.

This one is about low performance in schools and how that makes some students *not college ready* as if we knew what that means.  Personally, I think there are definitely skills lacking in many college students; however, if they can't get up to speed in college, then where will they? Where might they get college ready?

Pretty sure I have already saved this one in a NRU, but just in case: The El Paso *cheating* scandal that sent a supt to jail.

A *review* of the core curriculum, again... still no one says anything really of use, but there you have it.  In a tangentially connected piece, we see the nostalgia (real or imagined) that proposed change engenders.  I think the comments to these stories tell the real story about how we *remember* our education/schooling and what we deem important about it now.

Thirty years after A Nation at Risk, where are we?


No comments:

Post a Comment