Tuesday, April 02, 2013

NRU -- the mish mash part 642

Wine, wine, we all love wine in the US ... from sea to shining sea apparently.

Hmm...first of all, I don't know what Hansel and Gretel lights are; secondly, this seems awfully intrusive and potentially dangerous depending on where you are commanding people to not have lights; and third, only in Ojai (and maybe Marin where the scent police would have to side with these folks)?

This seems like an appropriate kind of pressure for parishioners and diocesans to apply -- you could leave the church or you can let them know what you won't stand for... I wonder how the bishops take these messages.  I have to say I am impressed by the woman saying that she cannot stay quiet.

I am intrigued by this *long* story about a boeing worker befriending the barefoot bandit.  Several questions come to mind ... the first being, who decided this was worthy of a story? Not that it isn't but surely there are plenty of people around the country mentoring prisoners... what prompted this reporter to care about this story? [the first version I read was from my mobile AP feed, it seemed much longer than this version in the sfgate, but I don't have time to chase down a link to other one].

Every year when I read these stories about folks providing proms dresses and accoutrements, I get teary eyed -- and I didn't enjoy the prom.  This is a simple way to bring happiness to others, so glad they are doing it. The snide comment about the girls needing to find their own dates, however, was super extra.

The headline I saw read: Texas Hires Full Time BBQ Editor.  The *real* headline reads:  A Tireless Connoisseur of Texas Barbecue Gets Ready for the Main Course.  I really included it because, the NYTimes writing about BBQ, and a BBQ editor at that, well, who can resist?  I did wonder, though, as I read through it, how long someone could *survive* (literally) eating BBQ 10+ times per week.  The NYTimes, one eye probably peeled on Bloomberg, assured us at the end of the article that Vaughn has the workout thing covered, but no details...

Ellen and coming out and American getting comfy with gay people,  according to NPR.

There should probably be a whole NRU about the pope and what he is, might be and isn't.  What struck me as I listened to the coverage in the first days was how it was so similar to when Barry was elected.  He was everything to everyone -- and that was a recipe for disaster.  I am afraid with Francis/Francesco/Francisco that there will be some crushed souls when they figure out he is just a guy with some fancy priestly duds rather than every special interest groups' savior.  Pray for him, indeed...

Hmmm... pay what you want nonprofit cafes and select menu items at other cafes -- do you know who it is, I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment