Thursday, February 04, 2021

Black History Month, Poetry Edition, I'm behind...

 [th(e)reat] → siege engine

~Trace Howard DePass

                                in my own body ← here i am a siege

                                overthrowing a home where no one lives

                                but me. i’m too big for my too big head

                                too barely anything for want, my love

                                built me from a nail in the wall galloped

                                to meet the socks on the floor → now a hole

                                in the wall i would peek thru & run some

                                cable thru so we all could watch cable.

                   now, there’s a good amount of good reasons

                   why no one lives here, no one lives with me.

                   my cat even tries to leave. he jumps out

                   the window, off the roof, & waits for me

                   to catch him with the neighbors. & i too

                   trynna be beautiful & loved this way.


i  ←  suppose: perching for life to begin

is this flatline moving me, failed, forward,

feathered closer to grace each time; going

mother after mother i wake up as

a dove picking lilies from her black i

suppose i love so i know i ain’t know

                brevity without withholding a breath  ←

                loved those flying ants,  infiltrating  thru  all  fronts’

                doors til i (w)as a room entered watching

                for  bites tender thicker  than all-time’s

                to consume ← consistency dragged → this long

                makes me  wanna bite bird feet  ← too   baby

                cat  i love you too,...   ache in my bones you

                remind me of  what is it(?) to be  picked ←


Copyright © 2020 by Trace Howard DePass. Originally published in Poem-a-Day on October 19, 2020 by the Academy of American Poets.

No comments:

Post a Comment