Monday, February 22, 2016

NRU more mishmash

This one is old, from 2013, but it just popped up, somehow, on fb and I adored it.  So, I am sharing. It is the story of a couple who collected art on their civil servant pay for 40 or so years.  Maybe longer.  I am not sure what part of the story I love more:  that they were frugal but able to spend on what they loved; or that they became so intimate with the art community in part because of their pure love of art.  This is a love story on many levels.

These articles are burning a hole in my browser, but I cannot actually bear to read them.  I keep imagining I will have such a good day that reading sad, disturbing stories won't bother me.  And what counts as sad and disturbing one day can be just fine another day, so don't worry if the stories above and below seem exactly the same sadness and disturbing ...  without editorial remarks I leave them here, you may read and report.  I may get the courage to read if the links don't die:

Why the Deaths of Latinos at the Hands of the Police Haven't Drawn as much Attention ... and what would a day without Latinos look like (redux and WI addition, who knew?!). 

So many political articles, what with the crazies running for president and the justice from hell dying ... these are not necessarily the two best articles, but they are the ones that were the last open in my browser. 

For some international flare on the political scene, I offer you an article about Bolivia's president and his "love scandal." I guess it's good to know that we are not the only ones talking about what is not important.  It is far more pressing for the Bolivian people to talk about what it would mean to lift restrictions on a fourth term.  I don't know what is right for them, as a people or a country, perhaps pretend democracy is better than real democracy (who has that anyway?!) at this time.  But I am pretty sure that this scandal is not what matters.  And as to whether or not he is handling the "truth" and his affair in a particularly good or bad way, well that has nothing to do with whether or not the people of Bolivia should sanction dictatorship with electoral reforms and elections in general.


No comments:

Post a Comment