Monday, May 22, 2006

Crazy Hospital Maze

I felt like a character in an updated One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest today.

First of all, it was an odd situation. Yet another cousin I have never met is in the hospital with a life threatening condition. This time, I promised to go visit her in the hospital, so I couldn't wiggle out of it in my mind. But it is odd to meet someone for the first time in the hospital no matter how you look at it.

So, off I go on a cloudy, rainy day to a not-so-great part of town. Instead of really getting directions, I looked briefly at the mapquest a few days ago and decided to feel my way there today. Luckily there were blue H signs with arrows; sadly, they must have forgotten the last one. After a few rounds, I finally asked and someone knew which street was the one I needed.

I arrived as the police were talking to someone right outside of the hospital. I am glad that I didn't see at the time that the police officer was standing in front of a bullet riddled car. It was much better to see it after I was safely in my car on my way out of there.

The spookiest part was being inside the actual hospital. You get off the elevator from the parking garage on the fifth out of seven floors, already weird. There are some paper signs pointing you towards a totally unmarked entrance to the hospital/clinic/outpatient services. You figure, it must be the right place because there are no other doors. Once inside, it is stone silent. There are no people there. The map on the wall, listed in four languages, doesn't make any sense to me.

Where are the patients??

Where are the nurses? Anyone?

I toured the clinic before I realized that this was not the right wing. SPOOKY... ok, no people, just hallways with ominous signs warning you to cover your mouth if you cough and funky stains on the floor. This looks like the kind of clinic where you come out sicker than when you started.

I had been told seventh floor, and the end of the room number had an A. So, I try once again with the map and directory to make some sense of this. There is the big H building and then the V building and across the walkway a bunch of other wings, A-E. The big H building says it is ACUTE CARE. I reason this must be the emergency ward and the clinic. I decide I need the walkway and those other wings, especially the one labeled A.

Still, I have seen NO PEOPLE. I am in this place completely alone, it would appear. I thought I heard some people getting on or off the elevator when I was wandering around the clinic, but when I got to the elevator there was no one there. I decide to embark on my quest for A WING fearful that I will never be able to find my way back, but determined to get to the room before visiting hours are over.

Off the elevator, I follow the signs to the walkway. As I approach the door to the walkway, it opens on its own. CREEPY!! YIKES. I really wanted to go back right then, but that seemed so spineless, So I soldiered on. Now I am in the OLD WING of the hospital. It looks like a really old time psychiatric facility. OK... how the hell would I know? Actually, my aunt worked at the state hospital for a long time, and it looks like that. I find the A wing, and the door is locked. Now I am really freaked out... what the hell. The elevator outside the A WING is one of those caged elevator that looks like it will eat you alive. I peak into it, problem, only four floors. I am supposed to be looking for seventh floor. Note: I STILL HAVE SEEN NO PEOPLE.

Looking back at the other building, I realize that it definitely has seven floors or more and I should head back there. Not to mention that it is closer to the parking structure. Once back in the elevator area, I try the guide in this area. Finally, there it is PATIENT ROOMS, 7TH FLOOR. I call the elevator and decide this is a really good sign. Still no people. The seventh floor door opens to a regular hospital ward.

Big sigh of relief. I don't know why I was so spooked, but I really was. On the way out, I was completely disoriented and wondering how I would get back to the Aliceinwonderland-like door that would lead me back to my cute little car, but, luckily for me, the spooky fairy had decided to go away. Here there was a nurse just getting to work who saw my wide-eyed lost look, and pointed me in the back direction. So, I guess I was mentally prepared when I saw the bullet riddled car; hardly fazed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment